Thursday, September 13, 2012

We Are One

"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World."
~Ghandi



I can't let this week go by without reflecting on the tragic events that happened 11 years ago.  I am sure you remember where you were when you heard the news; I don't think that is something that is ever forgotten.  I was teaching a fifth grade math class in Dover, MA when the principal walked in, and without a word, handed me a note.  I can still feel that pit in my stomach grow as I watched and listened to the events of September 11, 2001 unfold that day and in the weeks that followed.


There is something else I cannot forget about that time either.  I remember the acts of compassion, kindness, and selflessness that were demonstrated on that day in particular and in the days, weeks, and months afterwards.  We all found ourselves part of something bigger than just us as individuals.  We were a family, a community.  We were strong and found strength in each other.  We found the courage to survive in the face of tradegy.  We were reminded that we are in this world together, and together we can make a difference.
 
Let us never forget that sense of community we all felt then and hopefully still feel today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment